Press Releases
2-K youth in Region I to benefit from SPES

About 2,000 poor but deserving youth in Region I will benefit this year with P13 million Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) fund. 

“The opportunity is open again for those who are eager to fulfill their dreams,” DOLE-RO I Regional Director Evelyn R. Ramos said. 

She said the SPES enables students, out-of-school youth, including dependents of displaced or would-be displaced workers due to business closures, work stoppages, or natural calamities, continue their education in secondary, tertiary or technical-vocational institution.

 

Youth beneficiaries age 15 to 30 years old are provided with short-term job opportunities during summer and/or Christmas vacation or any time of the year. 

SPES beneficiaries may be employed from 20 to 78 days and may be assigned as service crew, student assistant, clerk, office/administrative assistant, support staff, bookkeeper, or plant nursery helper/assistant in private establishments, local government units and government agencies. 

The participating employer shoulders 60 percent of the SPES workers’ salary which is equivalent to the highest prevailing minimum wage rate in the region, while the DOLE shoulders the remaining 40 percent. 

Shaula Manangan, 23-yeard-old former SPES baby, is among those who were able to complete their education and are now employed.  Someone is called a SPES baby if he or she has been a program beneficiary at least twice. 

She landed as office assistant at an accounting company right after earning a Business Administration degree from a reputed college in the City of San Fernando, La Union.  

“Truly, it has been a blessing being a SPES beneficiary.  I intend to pay it forward by applying my learned positive values in all that I do,” Shaula said. 

Interested applicants may submit their application to the nearest Public Employment Service Office (PESO). Beneficiaries will be selected based on eligibility criteria, documentary requirements and availability of funds. END/Arly Sta. Ana-Valdez with report from Fredderick L. Gaerlan, DOLE-LUFO

[Back]
[Print]
2021-03-16
RD Evelyn R. Ramos
Sumangbay kayo! Because we want to serve you better, we have built our website.
Contact us:
Name

Your Email

Title/Subject

(Maximum characters: 50)
You have characters left.

Your Message

(Maximum characters: 300)
You have characters left.